Saturday, October 30, 2010

Nate Currin = Cool, Calm and Talented

Purevolume sent me to Nate Currin today, an Atlanta indie rocker with a seductive, raspy voice that accompanies his crooning with simple, easy-listening rhythms. I did not fall in love with Currin's music immediately, but his laid-back vibe eventually grew on me.

"Goodnight California" felt a little lackluster to me. The lyrics are very pedestrian, and the synth-y, acoustic backdrop does not make the song pop out at my ears. The vocals sound exceptional, but unfortunately the music that goes along with them did not. I kept waiting for something big to happen, some moment of saving grace that would catapult the song to an opinion-altering climax, but that miracle never came. The song is not terrible, but it is definitely not amazing.

Currin really turned things around for me with "Yellow Springs." I could not get enough of the guitar riffs and chord progressions. They match perfectly with his light, melancholy vocals. The climax I searched for in "Goodnight California" actually happened in this one, with an uplifting crescendo. This song has soul.

"Dance Away the Night" is another great track from Currin. The lyrics are adorable. For instance, "We slow-danced in the kitchen to sound of all the crickets and the crackle of the old tv" melted me. His use aural imagery is stunning. I also liked the progression of the song in general. The verses are slow and quiet with hard-hitting choruses. I like this song because its happy, and the message is not too heavy. It can make you feel good, and who doesn't want music that will make them feel good?

I like Nate Currin's style a lot. He's simple and understated in each aspect of his music. There is a comforting sense of consistency when listening to him. I recommend him to fans of Howie Day and Edwin McCain.

Here's a lovely video of him performing live for you to enjoy.



Thank you for reading. Shuffle on.

Photo credit: http://www.purevolume.com/natecurrin/photos/3174692

No comments:

Post a Comment