Thursday, October 14, 2010

Facebook Shufflin'

Recently I asked the lovely people of Facebook, via my blog's fan page, what bands have been dominating their playlists lately, in effort to find out pull and share resources of good music amongst fellow listeners. I picked out the bands I had not previously listened to, checked out their Purevolume pages, and found Youtube videos of songs from those picks to share with you!

Passion Pit is a very fun, psychedelic, electronica band that Taylor McKool has been jamming to. I fell for them instantly because of their addicting rhythms and truly electronica sound. "Sleepyhead" really epitomizes their style. Here is a spectacular video of them performing it live.



Thomas Cornell is listening to Marina & The Diamonds, a powerful female force similar to Regina Spektor. Her delicate voice tugged at my heartstrings with melancholy lyrics. Here's a great performance of her singing "Shampain."



My last top pick came from Frank Chynoweth, who is really interested in Camera Obscura, an indie rock powerhouse from the UK. Their strong vocals and funky pop rhythms drew me in. Check out "Sweetest Thing" below!



After listening to each band, I realized there is no exact formula for a great song. No specific sound, rhythm or lyrical arrangement defines a song's appeal. All songs are not created equal.

Thank you to Taylor, Thomas and Frank for their great suggestions!

Thank you for reading. Shuffle on.

No comments:

Post a Comment