Saturday, October 16, 2010

Hotspur is Super Haute


Goodness, gracious, great powerpop! Purevolume really delivered today with Maryland indie rockers Hotspur. With sleek rhythms, crystal clear vocals and accents of piano and electronica, I could hardly find fault with any of Hotspur's songs. Their lyrics were even a win! Members Joe Mach, Coop Cooper, Scott Robinson, Dave Trichter and Evan Anderson know their craft and know what they are doing.

"$$$" is layered with vocals and instruments, giving it a very full sound. I caught a bit of a Panic! At the Disco vibe from this song, especially in the vocals. They are very aggressive, which pairs perfectly with the tense lyrical content. I like this song because there is so much going on in it, but the band makes sure to blend all of it together.

"If These Walls Could Talk" is an upbeat, yet melancholy, tune with thoughtful lyrics. I especially enjoyed "If these walls could talk, would they tell you all the things I said while you were fast asleep lying next to me?" I think those lines capture that universal feeling that presents itself in relationships that suffer from the partners not saying what they really think. I appreciate Hotspur's honesty and ability to convey common situations through beautiful lyrics.

"You Should Know Better By Now" is a piano-driven song with fierce vocals. The chorus is catchier than the common cold. There is a bit of synthesizer thrown in that really makes the song pop right before the verses. It sounds a little bit like The White Tie Affair, and it works.

I would suggest Hotspur to anyone interested in high-energy pop rock with a dark side. Here is a video of them performing my favorite song of theirs, "Alphabetic File."


Thank you for reading. Shuffle on.

Photo credit: http://www.purevolume.com/hotspur/photos/2712547

No comments:

Post a Comment