Saturday, October 30, 2010

College Radio Jackpot


This week, my college's radio station WPPJ held their 30th annual Rock-a-Thon, a 67-hour long, non-stop broadcast that includes various fundraising activities to raise money for The Early Learning Institute. One of those activities included a CD sale of all of the CDs that were taking up space in the radio station including promos, demos, compilations and full-length albums. Students paid $5 to fill up a grocery bag with as many CDs as they wanted. I immediately saw this as a blogging opportunity. I bought several albums by artists I never listened to before so I could check out their Purevolume pages and review them. I picked my favorite two to share with you: Sherwood and Anthony Green.

I purchased Sherwood's 2007 album "A Different Light," a bevy of indie rock gold. The album is energetic, emotional and full of depth lyrically. Each instrument is in touch with the others, creating a warm balance in every track. Sherwood establishes a pop rock tone but distinguishes themselves from others in that broad genre by incorporating very tight instrumentation and clear, heartfelt vocals into every song. They don't just sound good. They sound like they know exactly what they are doing. My favorite song by them is "Song In My Head," because the vocals are absolutely stellar. Listen to it in the video below and tell me what you think of it!



Anthony Green's 2008 album "Avalon" also made its way into my bag of goodies. A member of Circa Survive and former member of Saosin, Green fares quite well as a solo artist. "Avalon" is chock full of acoustic jems, supported by Green's delicate voice and thoughtful lyrics. He reminds me of a mix between Bright Eyes and The Downtown Fiction. His sound is soothing while his lyrics are thought-provoking. My favorite song by Green is "Babygirl." Listen to it here!



I think the CD sale served me well: I discovered two great artists that I plan on listening to more often. I could not have asked for anything more.

Thank you for reading. Shuffle on.

No comments:

Post a Comment