Friday, October 8, 2010

KISS KISS is Love Love


Purevolume introduced me to quite the dreamy musical powerhouse today. KISS KISS, a five-piece experimental indie rock group from New York, stunned me with their refreshing, roaring sound. They swept me off my feet and carried me through a quirky arrangement of dramatic vocals, eclectic instrumentation, and a wrathful violin. Three songs were more than enough material to convince me KISS KISS is a band every rock fan should experience. You can try them out for yourself here.

"Satellite" packed such a pop-rock punch I felt like it swallowed me whole and spit me out, in an effort to let me know KISS KISS is a force to be reckoned with. This song showcases the glorious capabilities of their synthesizer. Its occasional daintiness allowed the vocals to strut around the foundation of chord progressions and fierce percussion, yet its occasional boldness made the song sound like it just took a cocktail of muscle-pumping steroids. I loved everything happening in this song, and there was A LOT happening.

"Machines" is a mysterious cabaret-esque tune with angst-filled percussion and woeful violin. I loved this song because it is so different from anything I have heard lately. The way the instruments cue each other into the various breaks between vocals was intriguing and innovative. The circus-like sound of it was almost spooky and somewhat hypnotizing. At this point in my listening adventure, I made a mental note to download everything they have on iTunes.

"Dress Up" also gave me the creeps with its rushed percussion, screechy vocals, and violin and synthesizer-laced instrumental breaks. I would love to hear this song live because I think it could drive a crowd crazy, but the recording proved a little harsh on the ears. Despite its brashness, I loved its epic tempo-changes and crazy vocals. It was a hot mess, but I embraced it.

I recommend KISS KISS to fans of Panic! At the Disco. Their sound is incredibly theatric, entertaining, and demands attention.

Listen to KISS KISS here!

Thank you for reading. Shuffle on.

Photo credit: http://www.purevolume.com/kisskiss/photos/2986210

No comments:

Post a Comment