Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Dear and Departed


I am always grateful for a band that has the ability to lull me to sleep, not necessarily because they bore me but because their sound is so soothing and relaxing. The Dear and Departed, my most recent Purevolume discovery, is one of those bands. Costa Mesa indie rockers Danxunder, Darren, Jimmy and Courtney create calm rhythms punctuated with earnest lyrics. Listen to them here!

"If You Say So" is a beautiful ballad reminiscent of The Cure. The guitar riff is light and melancholic while the percussion is heavy and steady. The bass drum is impeccable and acts as the driving force of the song's solidity. The vocals' varying volume adds drama to the simplicity of the instruments, providing depth and grabbing my attention. I loved "If You Say So" because the band did so much by doing so little.

"Run Away" is haunting, loud, and very Anberlin. I would probably jam to this while working out to really amp up my energy. The vocals really stand out in this song due to their clarity and fury-filled notes. There's an air of catchiness within the percussion and guitar that makes the song very easy to listen to. The song is somber yet powerful, a combination that makes it a total win in my book.

"Day to Day" is the song I would put on repeat to throw me into a deep slumber. It is very monotone, but not in a bad way. The vocals demand the most attention, as they did in "If You Say So," with a very emotional tone. This song relaxed me, which I believe garners two thumbs up.

I recommend The Dear and Departed to fans of indie emo rock. Their music is laid-back yet thoughtful and definitely worth a listen.

Listen to The Dear and Departed here!

Thank you for reading. Shuffle on.

Photo credit: http://www.purevolume.com/thedearanddeparted/photos/2389660

No comments:

Post a Comment