Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Perfect Timing with Lovedrug

Let's get a little personal. I am obsessed with being in the Christmas spirit. After Black Friday happens, I am all about the holidays and enjoy as much Christmas-related things as possible: Christmas television specials, Christmas cookies, Christmas sweaters, Christmas socks, Christmas decorations, etc.

The top dog of all my Christmas favorites? Christmas music. I crank it until the voices of Bing Crosby and Burl Ives are stuck in my head for the entire month of December. In fact, I don't even really listen to any non-Christmas music during the holiday season, but of course I have had to make an exception for my blog.

I didn't have to compromise today though because Purevolume led me to Lovedrug, an adorable rock pop band that just released a Christmas EP. HOW PERFECT? Not only are they featuring some of my favorite Christmas songs on their Purevolume, but they make those favorites sound better than I have ever heard them before.

"The Christmas Song" is interpreted in a very blues/jazz fashion by Lovedrug. They have slowed it down a good bit and given it a killer guitar part. The vocalist takes his good old time with each word making the song almost trance-like. The tempo speeds up halfway through the song making it sound really grunge-y and wonderful. I cannot get over how well Lovedrug plays this song. It has so much more style than any version I have heard before.

"Blue Christmas" is crooned to perfection. The vocals sound almost sleazy with how whiny yet whisper-y they are. The instrumentation sounds exactly like the original except the percussion has a lot more life in it, and the guitar solo towards the end of the song really rips into the usually hum-drum chords. I love this version because Lovedrug pumped a lot more flair into it than the original.

"Christmas All Over Again" impressed the life out of me. Lovedrug definitely captured the fun vibe of the holiday hustle and bustle with this one. The vocals again are simply delectable, and the percussion parts are very tight and polished. It sounds like they had fun recording this one, and that's what Christmas music is all about to me. Five stars for Lovedrug on this one, especially for the awesome guitar parts.

If you are looking for some fun, updated Christmas tunes, listen to Lovedrug's Christmas EP. You will not be disappointed.

Here's an adorable holiday video from Lovedrug. What do you think of them?


Thank you for reading. Shuffle on.

Photo Credit: http://www.purevolume.com/lovedrug/photos/3228713

3 comments:

  1. As someone who generally loathes Christmas music, they impressed me with their covers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good! I think I like their version of "Christmas All Over Again" the best. What was your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That one was also my favorite that they covered. I think that they brought new life to a song I thought was overdid and butchered enough.

    ReplyDelete