Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Darynyck: Folk Pop Perfection

Folk pop almost always appeals to me, and quirky music duo Darynyck is no exception. In fact, members Daryn and Nyck (adorable choice of band name, I know) create some of the catchiest, cutest folk pop I have listened to in a while. Their simple lyrics and easygoing rhythms make listening to them very enjoyable. They have an irresistible charisma about them that makes me want them to write a song about me.

"Same Old Song" features an upbeat tempo and a variety of instrumental parts. Layered vocals enhance the song's fullness to a high degree, while the rattle of a maraca breaks up the repetitive guitar part and gives the song a fun edge. There is a bit of a campfire-sing-along vibe to this song that makes it perfect for a party playlist. This song is packed with sinfully sweet folk fun.

"Chaotic (Under Control)" is a mellow, guitar-driven track with a tambourine that fits in perfectly. My favorite aspect of this song is a rugged harmonica part that accompanies the attitude of the lyrics very well. The tone is somewhat cynical and pessimistic, making it a nice departure from Darynyck's often brighter vibe, yet it is impossible not to bob your head to this song. It's addicting.

"Now or Never" features a terrific harmonica part and song structure. The harmonica waits for the vocals finish, as if they are taking turns expressing themselves. It makes for a very fun interaction. Halfway through the song, everything slows down to make way for a quiet, slow verse that ends the song with the woeful lyrics, "Will you ever love me again?" Because of their creativity, I am willing to love Darynyck over and over again. This song is proof that this band writes catchy folk pop like it is the only thing they were put on Earth to do.

I recommend Darynyck to fans of Bob Dylan, Dave Melillo and Busman's Holiday. This duo makes fun folk with a dash of edginess that is sure to please any folk pop lover. Watch this live video of them and tell me what you think! Do you like Darynyck?



I also found this gem while perusing Darynyck's YouTube videos. It's one of my favorite Weezer songs. I simply could not pass up posting it.



Thank you for reading. Shuffle on.

Photo Credit: http://www.purevolume.com/darynyck/photos/3118914

2 comments:

  1. Awwee. They are really cute! I really like "Now or Never" it is rather excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how much they use the harmonica. I appreciate bands that use kind of oddball instruments.

    ReplyDelete