Saturday, December 11, 2010

It Pays to Have Music Lovers as Friends

Thomas Cornell and I became friends at the beginning of the fall semester in our history class. At some point, I chose to tell him about this blog, and since then he has become one of my most faithful readers. Our conversations about music exist on this blog and in our classroom, and sharing our passion has made our friendship very fulfilling.

Thomas is such a good friend that he decided to make a set of CD's for me of music that he thinks I need to listen to, which is incredibly appropriate considering the theme of my blog. I thought it would be a sin not to blog about some of the artists Thomas blessed me with.

After listening through almost half of the hundreds of songs Thomas gave me, I have created a list of artists, in no particular order, that everyone should check out.

1. Who: Leslie Hunt
Sounds Like: Fiona Apple, Liz Phair
Why Listen: Hunt's powerhouse voice and personal lyrics should not be ignored.


Sounds Like: Cute Daft Punk, Lily Allen
Why Listen: The Bird and The Bee's tracks are full of life and fun. Their techno remixes of Hal and Oates classics are fantastic, and their originals are even better.


Sounds Like: Sara Bareilles, Regina Spektor, Lisa Loeb
Why Listen: Elizabeth has a beautiful tone to her voice that is wonderfully relaxing and the instrumentations in her songs fit her lyrics perfectly.


4. Who: Eisley
Sounds Like: Sara Bareilles, Florence and the Machine
Why Listen: Eisley's tunes are catchy and her voice is irresistibly sweet.


5. Who: Paloma Faith
Sounds Like: Amy Winehouse, Duffy
Why Listen: Faith's tracks span a broad array of styles. Her music is sassy, fun and fresh.

What do you think of these artists? Who do you like and dislike? Let me know by leaving some comments. Let's have a conversation!

A big thanks to Thomas for making this post possible!

Thank you for reading. Shuffle on.

Photo Credit: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150355791135157&set=a.10150355790700157.583505.892080156

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS POST BECAUSE I MADE IT HAPPEN. But seriously. I LOVE all of these bands, obviously. I would never give you music I didn't have any faith in, but Leslie Hunt is totally my favorite artist. She's soo goood. I'm so glad you liked these bands! Paloma is wonderful, is she not? Her voice is so cool. And EISLEY! Ooooh love! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eisley is probably my favorite. I just love the tone of her voice. Thanks for making this happen =) How did you find Leslie Hunt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was a contestant on season six of American Idol. She was axed super early. She made it to the top 24 but only made it to the second week, but I knew she was too special for that to be the end of her journey. I found her myspace, added her. Messaged her and told her how awesome I thought she was and we became (kind of) friends. Haha, I became her super fan, doing any online promotion that I could. She's ridiculously talented and has some serious pipes and I love her sooo much. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POz2mvj0L70 That's her on Idol!
    I think I knew how much I was in love with her was when she got voted off Idol she scatted and at the very end she was like "Why did I decide to scat?! America don't care for jazz." I was basically just like HOLYOMG. I have since stopped watching American Idol. THAT GIRL SINGS MY JAMS. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh now I remember her! That's really amazing that you connected with her like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, it truly is! It's a super long story that I will have to share with you sometime haha.

    ReplyDelete